- I finally got Jason hooked on Glee. I knew all it would take was him sitting down to watch it. His love of musicals is one of the reasons I fell in love with him. It was the Vogue video that put him over the edge, I think.
- Really, and he’s the one who reminds me that Dancing With the Stars is on. Sorry, ladies, he’s taken. Forever.
- Obviously, we’re not participating in National Turn Off The TV Week, or whatever it’s called. It’s a good idea, but it’s not like we let the kids sit in front of the television for hours on end, so I’m okay with our “Turn Off the TV” time being spread evenly throughout the year.
- I’m IM’ing with my sister and bonding over Stan Rogers music. What? You weren’t raised on sea shanties (shouldn’t that be spelled ‘chanties?’ It’s from the French ‘chanter,’ after all…) and folk music? Daddy was a sailor with an acoustic guitar in the 60’s and 70’s. It was inescapable, thank goodness.
- As was a deep adoration of John Denver. I didn’t even know that Peter, Paul & Mary sang “Leaving on a Jet Plane” until I was an adult. It’s always been a John Denver song to me.
- Dad loves musicals, too. I know. Two straight men who love musicals in one family. They DO exist, folks. I’m always taken aback when people talk about musicals being a “gay man” thing. I’ve been told I’m pretty lucky that my husband will even watch them with me. Luck has nothing to do with it. I met him in college choir. We sang Gershwin and Disney songs together. I know lots of straight guys (yes, and a few gay ones, too) who like musicals.
- I have to brave the post office now. Wish me luck!