You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘religion’ tag.
Various comments and statuses on Facebook have gotten me thinking recently. A lot.
What I wish I had the guts to type in the Comments boxes:
- There is no such thing as a War on Christmas. It doesn’t exist, at least here in the U.S. Stop the fear-mongering. PLEASE.
- The fact that I am a liberal does not mean I automatically agree with everything Michael Moore says. Stop lumping all liberals together. Hell, stop lumping all conservatives together. It makes no sense. We. Are. Individuals.
- I say, “Happy Holidays.” I also say, “Merry Christmas” to people I know celebrate Christmas, “Happy Hanukkah” to people I know celebrate Hanukkah, “Happy Solstice” to practically everyone, and “Ahoy, Matey!” on Talk Like a Pirate Day. Which part of this makes me a terrorist?
- Oh, you might have meant that terrorist thing as a joke? It’s not funny.
- Your status is offensive and hurts my feelings. I thought you were more open-minded than that.
- Saying “Merry Christmas” is not ‘The American Way.’ Methinks you need to go to a local college and take a course in Constitutional Law. Or a course on the history of world religion. Or, come to think of it, both.
What I posted instead:
- “It’s in every one of us to be wise. Find your heart. Open up both your eyes.”*
You know, not being Christian does not make me un-American, anti-American, or a terrorist. Happy Holidays, everyone! Love and peace to all, all year ’round.
What I learned:
- Holding love and peace in your heart can help melt some hurt away, but the support of friends melts it away almost completely.
*This quote is from one of my favorite Christmas Albums. Oh. My. Gosh. The videos of the original special are on YouTube! They weren’t up the last time I looked! I know what I’m showing the boys this weekend…
Wow. I know the story of Alfie and the songs by heart, because they’re on the CD, but the bit in the middle with John and Kermit…it had been too many decades…Sniff…